For those of you who have been waiting for the right time or for after the holidays, or just hoping to start their journey of health and wellness when it is less busy. Well, it’s January 2023, and the time is now! Stop putting it off until tomorrow. Stop wishing for it to happen and start making it happen. If it feels overwhelming or you don’t know where to start, let me help get you on your way!
1. Start small! If you try and do everything all at once, you will likely burn out and it won’t be sustainable. I know right now you feel motivated to do it all! You want to hit the gym every day and do intense workouts, and you want to overhaul your diet so you are eating only super clean foods. But doing too much too quickly isn’t recommended for long-term success. Slow and consistent will get you there!
2. Try adding a few easy things. Most people want to restrict themselves from everything, but then they feel deprived and it doesn’t stick. Let’s not focus on taking things away, but adding things! Try increasing your veggies, prioritize healthy proteins, focus on getting more water daily, concentrate on increasing your steps throughout the day, incorporate strength training to your exercise routine. If you slowly add these things, you likely will start to develop healthy habits and routines that will increase over time.
3. Do not focus on the scale or your weight. I know you want to see things move quickly, but that will only lead to frustration. Fat loss and building muscle takes time. So, don’t worry about the scale or your weight. Focus on your overall health and how you feel. Concentrate on improving form and increasing in strength. Focus on the process!
4. Sleep and getting enough rest is so important! If you are eating well and moving your body, but not resting and getting sufficient sleep, you are doing your body a disservice. Your body needs rest to recover from the day and from your workout. Make this a priority!
5. Find a friend or a coach to help make you more accountable, or to just keep it fun and fresh!
Remember, only you can make the decision to take those first steps towards improving your health and wellness. Your future self will be happy you did!